Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Glimpse of the First Week

(This was written on Monday night.  I didn't have internet to post it until now.  I also tried to include some pictures but the internet is not strong enough yet.  I will try to post some when I get better internet!)

Dear friends, thanks for your patience in waiting for an update from me!  Internet has been hard to come by (hopefully we will get our own soon) and I've also been keeping busy so I haven't really had the chance to write.  It's also been a tough first few days so it was hard to even sit down and write how I was feeling.  During the first three or four days I was really homesick and wondering what I was thinking coming to this foreign place where I knew nobody.  Although I've been on mission trips before and been overseas I've never gone alone so this has been a unique experience.  The first night I got here I felt feelings of fear, loneliness, and homesickness like I have never felt before.  Luckily a few other new teachers arrived with me so I wasn't completely alone and even though it was nice to have other Americans around they were still strangers. 

When I first got to Thailand it was about 2 a.m. on Wednesday so I just went to bed.  Thursday and Friday the other new teachers and I got to know some of the stores and places to eat around the school and I had my first experiences riding a taxi and a tuk tuk (a motorcycle with a covered bench-like seat on the back). 

Saturday we decided to explore a bit more of Bangkok so we took a taxi to JJ's market, which is one of the largest outdoor markets in Bangkok.  This market has pretty much anything Thai... it is huge!  We walked around for a couple hours in the morning before it got too hot.  Then we tried to take a taxi back to the school and got lost but eventually found our way back.  We got lunch, did a little shopping, and then rested for a bit.  At night we decided to be adventurous again so we took a bus to the mall to get dinner, which we successfully did (although we are pretty sure we didn't end up at the right mall.... oh well, it still had food!).

Sunday we went to church in the morning.  Although there is a church right on campus, it is in Thai so they recommend that we go to an English speaking church.  We went to a church about 15 minutes away by taxi.  The church was fairly small with a lot of North Americans, which I must admit, was a welcome change!  I was ready for a bit of America after four days in Thailand.  I was craving familiarity.  I really enjoyed the church and met some other families who are part of the Global English School community.  After church we went to a store that has imported goods so we could get some groceries that are uncommon in Thailand (like peanut butter and cereal!).  Then we went to a Mexican restaurant (which also had Italian and American type foods).  Again, it was really nice to have something other than Thai food for a change.  After church we relaxed, napped (which has been a daily occurrence due to jet lag), and watched a movie at night.  Saturday night and Sunday I really started to feel a breakthrough.  I had been really homesick and nauseous up to that point but I finally started to feel comfortable.  I finally felt that I was getting to know the street the school was on, where I could buy things and get food, and feel somewhat comfortable in this environment.  Most importantly, God gave me some really good interactions with people.  After being so homesick and lonely I was ready to make friendships and Sunday I had some really great conversations, met some wonderful people, and enjoyed an afternoon with new friends that are truly beginning to feel more like friends than strangers.  Praise God! 

Today was the first day of orientation for us new teachers.  All the new teachers met for breakfast to begin our day together. However, one of the teachers ended up having a seizure so I went with her and her roommate to the hospital, along with the woman who founded this school.  Although it was an unexpected event, it was amazing to see how we all came together to help out and do what we could, and that we were all praying over the events taking place.  It was also really neat to be able to spend some time with the woman who founded this school - she is so wonderful.  In the afternoon we came back to the school and finished off the day of orientation with some information about teaching and Thai culture.  Tonight we all went to another mall, had dinner, and walked around a bit.

There are so many things I could tell you about but it would take forever... everything is new and different.  I've been eating a lot of rice and noodle dishes, drinking iced Thai tea (a new delicious favorite), and yes, drinking lots of water.  It's hot and humid here but not unbearable.  We have AC in our apartments and in the school so it's not too bad.  Around 5 or 6 every evening it downpours for about 5 minutes and then it's clear again.  My room is really big but I still haven't fully unpacked... still need to work on that.

Well, I should go to bed.  Last night I couldn't fall asleep until 4:30 in the morning and had to get up at 7:30 (although I'm surprisingly not tired right now... oh jet lag).  Actually, I have been doing pretty well with jet lag so far... it's a bit harder to fall asleep, I wake up multiple times throughout the night and it's harder to get up in the morning, but other than last night I've been getting plenty of sleep.  All week we have orientation so I'll be learning more about the school, teaching, my classes, and getting to know the other teachers. 

Even though this first week has been challenging, God is faithful.  I know that he brought me here for a reason and I know that he will provide.  He is already giving me glimpses of hope and peace in getting more comfortable being here and making friendships to help me through.  Although there are challenges ahead, I believe the fruit of this year will outweigh them.  I truly believe that.  Over and over God promises to never leave or forsake us, to uphold us with his righteous right hand, and promises that the water will not sweep over us, and the fire will not burn us.  Even on our darkest, loneliest nights we can believe that.  I have never felt such intense feelings of fear and loneliness in my life as I did this past week.  However, God did not let me drown in those feelings.  He pulled me out and set me on higher ground.  I may feel those feelings again throughout the next year but I know that they will never overtake me.  God has brought me here for a reason and I know that he will provide for all my needs.  I look forward to this year with eager expectation to see all the great things he will do in my life, the lives of the other teachers, and the lives of our students.  I just need to keep holding onto his promises and reminding myself of their truth.  God is very near even when I don’t feel it and since I know that this is his will for me, I have nothing to fear.  There is nothing safer than doing what God has called you to do, no matter how risky or scary it may seem.

This week I’ve thought a lot about Jonah and I can totally relate to him.  He was instructed to go and warn a group of people that they would be destroyed if they didn’t turn to God.  However, he didn’t want to go so he went in the opposite direction and ended up getting swallowed by a big fish.  In the end he went and told the people what God had said and they ended up turning to God and repenting.  The first three days here I just wanted to go home.  I wanted to keep all my things in my suitcase, buy a plane ticket, and turn right back around.  But God has called me to these people and therefore the safest and best place I can be is right here and I know God will honor that and bring me joy as I follow him (and who knows, if I turn around now I might get swallowed by a big fish!).  I’ll take Thailand over the belly of a fish any day J

Thank you all for your love and prayers... it is so encouraging to know you are all still back home loving and supporting and praying for me. 

4 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post and what an inspiring young woman you truly are! Thank you for your wonderful example to us all of what IS possible with God by our side and as our source of strength, hope and comfort. You are battling with feelings that most of us will all feel in our lives at one time or another -loneliness, fear, doubt. These are the times when God watches to see how we will pull through - we will try and do it on our own or will we look to Him for help? You are a terrific example of how we can all persevere during these times - with determination and reliance on God we can all look to our challenges and fears with a renewed strength and source of comfort. Keep close to God and continue to follow His will for you and you will be blessed!

    I have had a year or two where I had trouble sleeping for one reason or another - sometimes I would lie awake until the wee hours of the morning as well. A favorite Bible verse for me that I also often sing to my kids when they have trouble falling asleep is Psalm 4:8 - "I will lie down and sleep in peace for you alone make me dwell in safety." When I lie awake some nights, I repeat this verse over and over and pray until I finally fall asleep.

    We will continue to pray for you and for God to bless you as you serve Him and the people in Thailand. They will truly be blessed by your teaching and by the friendships you build with them. God Bless!
    Love, Kerri O'Connor and family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bekah, Thank you for such a great idea of what you are doing and feeling! What great learning and stretching you are experiencing! And you are right on with your hand firmlly help by God! He will always be there to pull you up! First week behind you! Well done! with love and prayers, Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bekah,
    I am so happy that you are getting use to Thailand culture. It must have been hard at first but you have overcome so much already in the past week. I am so excited for you to learn and meek new people and a new culture. You are so brave and strong I can't even see myself going to a different country by myself. With the strength that you have in yourself and with God you can do anything!!! Have a good rest of your week Bekah and I be looking forward to your next post!!
    I be praying for you
    Anna
    Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endures the cross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for you, my beautiful friend. I love what you posted about being in the safest place you can possibly be - in the arms of God. He has certainly opened the doors for you, and will walk with you every moment, through every feeling and new thought. Remember back to Urbana, when you knew He was calling you to something, but weren't sure yet? I just remember having your head on my shoulder, praying together for wisdom and courage in what He has laid ahead of you. Every decision, open door and closed door has lead you to where you are. May you walk in His steps, knowing He is guiding you in every one of those unknown pathways. Love you so much. <3 Cindy

    ReplyDelete