Sunday, June 17, 2012

Long awaited update...


(to catch up on the last week and a half!)

Wow!  It’s been a while since I blogged!  I have been going pretty much nonstop for the past two weeks.  Last week was orientation so we were busy from 8 in the morning till about 8 at night.  The first two days of orientation were with just the new teachers learning about different policies, paperwork, and everything we needed to know about the school.  The rest of orientation was with all the teachers (new and returning) and was more meetings about school and teaching, etc.  Friday we went into Bangkok to a teacher store and were able to buy supplies for our classroom.  All the school staff also went to a nice Japanese restaurant on Friday night, which was delicious and fun. 

Saturday was a rough day.  I was really homesick which made it hard for me to do anything but I ended up having dinner with Megan and Michael (two returning teachers who are married) and then watched a movie with Megan.  Sunday I went to church (which I still really like), went to a grocery store and then went to Que Pasa again and ordered Hawaiian Pizza (which I’ve been eating for leftovers all this week!).  I also went to Big C for some more school supplies, went to a Thai-style cookout and ended the day in reading group.  One of the teachers was having a birthday so he planned a Thai-style cookout which is when you put meat on a rounded metal covering which goes over coals.  It was pretty good.  After that was reading group where about 8-10 teachers get together and listen to someone read (and there are milk and cookies!).  In the past they’ve read C.S. Lewis and similar authors.  It’s kind of nice to end a Sunday listening to someone read Christian literature and to have that community.

Monday to Wednesday I worked 14 hour days setting up my classroom.  The past part-time art teacher left the room a mess so I had a lot of work to do to clean everything out, organize everything, and get ready to teach on Thursday.  I’ve also had a lot of beginning of the year paper work such as year plans, weekly lesson plans, substitute packets, newsletters, bulletin boards, etc. in order to be ready for the first day of school.  But it all got done and I had my first day of teaching on Thursday.  Most of my classes are in the afternoon so most days I don’t even start teaching until 10:25.  The first two days of school were also early dismissal so the kids got out at 2:00.  All that to say, I only had two classes on Thursday and two on Friday. 

Thursday I had second graders and high schoolers.  The second graders were good but everything I had planned got done really quickly so I was left with half an hour of class time and nothing planned.  I came up with a fun game on the spot and then let them draw self portraits until the end of class so it worked out okay.  The high schoolers were good too although I feel really young and unqualified to be teaching them.  There are some fun kids in that class though so I think it will be good. 

Friday I had 6th grade and my other 2nd grade class.  The sixth graders were really good (that is my biggest class of 25 kids) and they were really attentive as I went over rules.  I also had them draw self portraits.  It was interesting to see their idea of a self portrait.  One girl drew Mickey mouse and a robot with  claws.  Most of the other kids drew themselves but in an anime style, so they were pretty unrealistic.  There were only two or three kids that actually drew a somewhat realistic picture of themselves.  One kid drew a real anime character with spiky hair, square eyes, and armor.  It was definitely interesting and gave me some insight into what they view as art.  The second grade on Friday went much better because I read them a book called The Art Lesson by Tomie dePaola which they enjoyed. 

I have been in the midst of painting by bedroom.  When I came the walls were white except for one wall which had a very bold mural on it painted by the last person who lived here.  I decided I needed to paint over that so I painted my whole room yellow.  I did the first coat last Saturday (my roommate helped me which was great!).  Friday I finished it up so I could put my furniture back in place (all week all my furniture had been in the middle of my room and I was ready to get things back in order and have a space to relax in).  I realized that I didn’t have enough paint to do a second coat so I just did the one wall that had the mural on it (it was a dark blue so it took a lot of coats for the yellow to cover it).  Overall it looks pretty good and the yellow cheers up the room a lot.  I wiped down the floors which were filthy, put my furniture back in place, and now all I have to do is decorate the walls (I will put pictures up when it’s all done)!  It’s nice to finally have a place that is comfortable, warm, and somewhere I can let down and call my own.  Friday night a bunch of teachers got together and had a game night.  I learned two new games – Nuns on the Run and Jungle Speed.  Both were really fun and it was fun to hang out with other teachers and get to know them better.

No comments:

Post a Comment