Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Saved

Over the past few months I have been thinking about what it means to be saved.  Of course the most significant way, and the usually most commonly thought way, is that we are saved from death.  Our salvation keeps us from eternal separation from God and gives us everlasting, eternal life.  But recently I have been realizing that every day I am saved in smaller, yet still wonderful ways. 

I am saved from a life of worry, fear, and anxiety into a life of peace.
I am saved from a life of depression and sadness into a life of joy.
I am saved from a life of hatred, anger and bitterness into a life of love and forgiveness.
I am saved from a life of loneliness into a life of fellowship and comfort.
I am saved from a life of striving into a life of stillness and rest.
I am saved from a life of jealousy and discontent into a life of contentment and thanksgiving.
I am saved from a life of meaninglessness and emptiness into a life of fullness and meaning.

As I think about Christmas I think about how Jesus’ birth allows me to be saved in all of these ways.  Not only did his birth, death, and resurrection provide the way for me to have everlasting life, but it allowed me to have peace, hope, joy, and love from God every single day. 

On a similar note, I’ve been thinking about the name Emmanuel.  It was first brought to my attention by my boss, who talked about its meaning at a staff meeting.  She was talking about how her favorite Christmas carol was O Come O Come Emmanuel.  She talked about how incredible it is that because of Jesus’ coming, we have God with us – Emmanuel.  I was completely struck by the idea that before Jesus’ coming people did not have God present with them all the time.  God interacted with a few people at different times, and the Holy Spirit came on certain people during certain times and for specific tasks, but in general the presence of God was not with all people all the time.  I cannot even imagine what that kind of life would be like.  I guess I have taken for granted the fact that God is with me all the time.  Jesus came to earth and was physically with people and now the Holy Spirit is on all those who believe.  We have God constantly with us and through that we gain such comfort and peace.  Perhaps these past six months make this concept even more important for me. God’s presence has been so important for me these past six months, probably more than any other time in my life.   I have never needed him more or relied on him more for comfort, peace, and friendship.  His presence has been the only thing to get me through this time.  I cannot image what it would be like to live without  that constant presence.  It makes me realize what an incredible thing happened when Jesus came to earth and what an incredible event it was when the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost.  The intimate friendship I have with him, the daily help I receive from his presence, is a gift I don't want to ever take for granted.  We could serve a God who doesn't interact with us at all, but instead we serve a God who loves us sooo much that he became one of us, lived with us, and now lives in us.  He delights in his people and loves to fellowship with them, help them, and be their constant companion.  What a great God to always have by your side!



No comments:

Post a Comment