Friday, December 19, 2014

As cool as traveling is...


I think there is a tendency for people to see the pictures of Singapore and Bali that I just put up and think that my life is so amazing, so cool, and that they wish they had my experiences.  While I am blessed to be able to travel, see the world, do cool things, and get new perspectives, please do not be jealous of my experiences.  As cool as traveling is, it gets old, it fades, it doesn't last.  Sure I have pictures and some already-foggy memories, and I suppose my perspective on life changes bit by bit the more of the world I see, but traveling is not all it's cracked up to be.

I feel like these days people idolize travel.  You see pictures on Pinterest of glorious sights from all around the world and people pin them on their bucket list board.  But it's different when you are there.  You see the sight, you snap a few photos, and that's it.  We romanticize travel and turn it into this glorious adventure where you get to see the world.  But that's not the reality.  That high you think you are going to have when you see that sight, those pictures you are going to capture, that experience that is supposed to change your life forever, doesn't really fill you and make you feel what you think you would.  Well, perhaps it does fill you for a little while, but it will soon run out.  It's not a joy that lasts.  You will go back to your normal life and not much will be different.  Read what I wrote in my journal while I was in Bali:

October 20, 2014  
"As cool as traveling is, it is not all its cracked up to be.  People hold travel as this great ideal.  And while you can have a unique and cool experience like riding elephants and trekking volcanoes and petting tigers, I can say with Paul that in comparison to Christ, it is all rubbish (Phil 3:8).  Seriously, every cool experience I've had while traveling abroad pales when compared to knowing Christ.  One of the only benefits of these experiences is that they point me to Christ - to how creative and amazing he is in all he has made - from steaming volcanoes to huge animals to beautiful sunrises.  The only thing I really get out of them is being amazed by God and praising Him for all he has made.  But the experiences themselves are pretty worthless.  People like to show off where they've been, to add it to their resume of what makes them cool, and to be honest, I have fallen into that trap a lot.  I want to do things not so much for the experience but just so I can brag about all the cool things I've done.  But then I spend time with Jesus and realize that is all silliness.  What can I brag about other than Him and His incredible creation and his undeserved work in my life?  What can I boast about other than my amazing Lord?  My heart resonates with the lyrics that say "You can have all this world, but give me Jesus."  I would readily let go of every experience I have had to have more of Jesus.  I don't care about the stamps in my passport, about the photos on my blog, or the cool things I can say I've done.  All that really resonates with my heart, all that really fills my heart with bursting joy and love is being in the presence of Jesus!  I guess I am like the man in Ecclesiastes.  I have done the things that people idealize and idolize, the things that people think will make their lives full and complete.  I have traveled the world and seen what there is to see only to say, meaningless, meaningless, except for Christ.  These experiences will only leave you empty and poor in the end.  You can stay home and find the greatest adventure, the richest treasure, and that is living a life with Jesus as your Lord and friend. 
The best things about traveling aren't really the places you go or the things you do... For me it's about the conversations I have, the people I get to meet and travel with, seeing God's beautiful creation, and the ways that I see Jesus in all of that."



I would sincerely say: You can have all this world (my experiences of petting tigers and riding elephants and hiking volcanoes and lying on beautiful beaches...) - you can have it all.  Just give me Jesus.  He is the only thing that fills my heart fully and completely and forever.  Travel may fill that void for a while but it will soon fade.  Jesus forever satisfies our longings when we are completely filled with Him.

I am not saying traveling is bad or wrong or worthless.  It can be a great experience and change your perspectives, build friendships, and increase your appreciation for creation and people throughout the world.  I'm just saying that it does not fill our void, it does not complete our lives like we think it might, it does not leave us with a lasting emotional high.  The only thing that can completely fill us and not run out is Christ, and with Him, all things are much more meaningful.



No comments:

Post a Comment